Finally figured out how to print to my wife’s Lexmark Z611 “winprinter” from my Linux box across tmy wireless net! I found these instructions in the Mepis forum:
UPDATE 10/6/09: The download from Lexmark is FOOBARRED?! I have the extracted files tarred in a file named “CJLZ600_INSTALLDIR_JWT.tar.gz”, which I build from the install dir created by a previously successful unpack! Then do the following:
1) cp CJLZ600_INSTALLDIR_JWT.tar.gz /tmp
2) cd /tmp; tar -xzvf CJLZ600_INSTALLDIR_JWT.tar.gz
3) cd install
3) su to root
— NOTE: you do NOT need to run any of the install scripts previously mentioned!!!!! —
4) dpkg -i z600cups_1.0-2_i386.deb
5) dpkg -i z600llpddk_2.0-2_i386.deb
6) cd /etc/init.d; ./cups restart
7) add the printer to cups as an “SMB shared printer (Windows)
Then select “guest” account login; then specify workgroup, server (computer printer is attached to), and the name the printer is shared out as.
8) Select “LEXMARK” for Mfg. and “Z600” for the driver. See step 12+ below in the original instructions.
9) You will probably have to go back and “start” the printer since it was created in a “stopped” state and make sure it is “shared out” on the Windows host!
UPDATE 11/9/08: Could not get this driver shellscript to run, so re-ran on old box, neither seem to now have libtcl8.3, but on old box got it to extract the necessary stuff into the “install/” subdirectory:
globals.tcl lexinstall.tcl testpage xlexinstall.tcl
install license usb.tcl z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm
lexinstall setup.tcl xlexinstall z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm
Then copied them over to the new box and ran:
alien –scripts z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm
alien –scripts z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm
dpkg -i z600llpddk_2.0-2_i386.deb
dpkg -i z600cups_1.0-2_i386.deb1) mkdir /tmp/lexmark/
2) Download the latest driver from here to the above directory from: http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:389:0:0&emeaframe=&fileID=1151&searchLang=en&searchLang=en
The file name is: CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz.
3) Unzip & Untar.
4) AS ROOT: sh z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh -keep #Ignore libtcl.so error(s).
5) cd installer
I choose “/usr/local” for the install path.
7) alien -i z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm
8) alien -i z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm
9) chmod -R +rX /usr/local/z600llpddk/
10) chmod -R +rX /usr/include/lexmark
11) restart /etc/init.d/cupsys
12) add the printer in cups (smb/guest login)
It needs to be an SMB printer and the uri will be smb://[workgroup]/[box-name]/[printer-share-name]. I didn’t see a way to “browse” for it.
Make sure it’s shared out on the Windows box. After the uri, it asks you for the “Make”, choose “Lexmark”, then (if the driver is properly installed), it asks you for the “Model”, choose “Lexmark Z600 v1.0-1 (en)”. There is no PPD file to be set up.
The cups login is: http://localhost:631 (no need for apache running)
13) Enjoy color printing!